Perfectly Perfect Popcorn
This is recipe will net you 10 quarts of prefect popcorn.
- 3 Tbsp canola, peanut or grapeseed oil (high smoke point oil and make sure no kids have allergies if serving to kids)
- 1/3 cup of high quality popcorn kernels
- 1 3-quart covered saucepan
- 2 Tbsp or more (to taste) of butter
- Salt to taste
How to achieve perfection:
- Heat the oil in a 3-quart saucepan on medium high heat.
- Put 3 or 4 popcorn kernels into the oil and cover the pan.
- When the kernels pop, add the rest of the 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels in an even layer.
- Cover, remove from heat and count 30 seconds. This method first heats the oil to the right temperature. Waiting 30 seconds brings all of the other kernels to a near-popping temperature so that when they are put back on the heat, they all pop at about the same time.
- Return the pan to the heat. The popcorn should begin popping soon, and all at once.
- Once the popping starts in earnest, gently shake the pan by moving it back and forth over the burner.
- Try to keep the lid slightly ajar to let the steam from the popcorn release (the popcorn will be drier and crisper).
- Once the popping slows to several seconds between pops, remove the pan from the heat, remove the lid.
- Dump the popcorn immediately into a wide bowl.
- Season as you wish